Thursday, June 24, 2010

Gulf Coast Oil Spill- Part 1

Wow, I cannot believe that I haven't updated my blog since FEBRUARY! Ok, yes I can. Life is busy and crazy. My friend Emily and I planned our first beach trip to Gulf Shores. We'd been watching the oil spill closely and thus far, the effects had not been severe in Gulf Shores. However, noaa.gov's website did predict that the oil would reach the gulf within days of our arrival.  Before we left I kept in regular contact with the realty company I'd booked our condo through.  I was also doing beach sessions while I was there, so having up to date knowledge of the oil spill was crucial to me.  Before we left our realty company offered us an extra night for basically nothing.  So, we left on Wednesday instead of Thursday.  Here are pics from our first day, June 9th. It was really surreal to see, in person, images I'd been seeing on the news and internet.

Most days, the crews were finished by mid morning and moved on to another part of the beach.  They worked hard to clean the sand and tiny tar balls that washed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment