Thursday, April 23, 2009

Making Friends in a New Some Place

I've been a transplant in MS for almost two years now. I can honestly say that it hasn't been easy living in an unfamiliar place and having to start over with new friends. I've noticed something about this area: it's really hard in infiltrate the groups of friends that were born in the days of playgrounds and/or sippy cups. Lifelong friendships have strong bonds, and they don't readily or easily welcome an outsider.

I'm not saying that people here are unfriendly. Where I'm from, we were the same way. You just get comfortable with the people you've known your whole life in the town you grew up in, and that often makes you unaware that there is a newbie out there who might be a good fit in your life. You just don't think about it when your life is full up with your BFFs, but you sure think about it when you're the newbie.

I believe God took me out of my comfort zone for many reasons. Most involve my family (that's another blog for another day). However, I've had my eyes opened and my perspectives changed on the kinds of friendships I want and need at this stage in my life. God has never really shown me things without allowing me to feel a little pain (ok, most of the time A LOT of pain). I've been brought to tears and near blinding rage with a couple of (what I thought were) friendships I have developed in the short time I've been here. I am thankful for those experiences though, because without them, I'd still be seeking the wrong thing for my life. God knows me better than anyone, and He knows I have to learn the hard way. I'm just thankful that my best interest is always in His plan for my life.

I say all of that to come to this point: Just recently, in the past 6-8 months I've started developing friendships that feel solid. Don't get me wrong, they still feel unfamiliar and clumsy and I still feel so self conscious at times, but I feel that they are RIGHT. One thing I started doing back all those months ago, was praying for God to put in my path godly, Christian women who would build me up and edify me. Women who were the friends He had chosen for me. I believe I've been introduced to one or two of those women.

It's hard not having someone here who I feel like I can and tell the silly things to. It's hard not having someone here who knows what I'm going to say, or what the sound of my voice means, or who would answer my call on the first ring in the middle of the night if I needed her. But, I believe, as I lay my roots down in my new some place, that will happen for me again. I trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment